Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

My son was diagnosed with mild depression & OCD. He was

My son was diagnosed with mild depression & OCD. He was prescribed sertaline 100mg and counceling. I'm concerned with the side effects of the medication and I've researched some natural alternatives. I've found a product called Serelax which contains
GABA - 200mg WOOD BETONY - 50mg
L-THEANINE - 100mg SKULLCAP - 75mg
Is this a safe alternative? He takes no other medications.
Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

Well, it would be a safe alternative, but I honestly don't think it would be as effective of an alternative. My recommendation would be that your son take the sertraline and participate in counseling so he can learn more about his depression and OCD, and learn some skills for handling them. Then, after he is stabilized and feels he has a good handle on things, you can look into natural alternatives to his medication if that is still desired. But at this point, I think you would be doing him a great disservice by not allowing him to take the sertraline (which will help with the depression and the OCD) until he feels he has more control over these issues.

Best wishes and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara