Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

My 13 yr.old recently changed her behavior with me to avoiding

My 13 yr.old recently changed her behavior with me to avoiding me all the time and not returning messages. I am divorced from her Dad. He downplays it; I don't trust him. Am I overeacting?
Is she living with her father? What do you think is going on that she has changed her behavior? Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She and her older sister have lived with him and their soon to be ex-stepmother for 6 years. Before that, they lived with me. I have asked him what is going on and he says nothing. She would come to my house for dinner every school day for the last 3+ years to see me and get away from something at home. She is very close to her Dad now but I think she is very disrespectful with him and i have said so. He tells me he does not need my help.
Thank you for the clarification. I think you should give this a little time to see if your daughter's behavior continues in this fashion, or if it might just be a short phase she is going through. Thirteen year old girls are difficult to understand and figure out, so it might just be a passing phase. If it continues, however, and you have legal custody, then you might want to look into having her go to a therapist with you. If you can't get answers from her, and her father isn't cooperating, then you will have to assert your parental rights and intervene in order to find out what is going on. You may also want to talk with her sister to see if she has any insight. It doesn't matter whether or not your ex thinks he needs your "help" - you have a right to have a relationship with your daughter and you need to do so, with or without his assistance.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara