Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

How do I overcome an overwelming feeling of constant sadness

How do I overcome an overwelming feeling of constant sadness and longing that has lasted for over seventeen years? A longing for the only woman I ever loved? I am unable to feel passion for anyone else to the same degree ever. I run my entire loving side of my personality by total fabrication so I don't hurt others. I feel I am unable to love anything fully. Sadly, I feel it has affected properly sensing/displaying love for my children even. I feel like I'm missing something and this feeling never stops. I am aware of this emptiness at all times. How do you overcome what feels to be an inescapable black hole?
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with this. It sounds like you loved this woman very much and that it has been very difficult for you to get on with your life in a way that feels meaningful and productive. You mention many things that you have done in order to get past this - but you don't mention that you have tried some professional counseling/therapy. I know that at this point in time, it may sound like that is a trite answer; but I really do believe that with the help of a professional, you may be able to pinpoint why you are unable to move on, and can then be given some skills/ideas as to what you can do from there. There are obviously some unresolved issues for you with regard to this relationship - but it is sometimes hard to understand exactly what those are and how to move past them without some help. So I would encourage you to talk with a therapist so you can work on getting some closure to this relationship and then be able to move on with your life.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara