Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Hello, I was taking effexor for a year due to anxiety when

Hello, I was taking effexor for a year due to anxiety when I finally came off it in jan 2010. I was feeling great till may 2010 after a bad relationship that lasted 2 weeks. Anxiety returned and it has been a roller coaster since. My doctor prescribed cipralex and didn't do any effect since may. This week, he prescribed celexa and I am feeling a slight change towards the better. However, I do feel like crying at times and quite shaky. The worst part is the nauseated state. It is really bad to the point where I want to vomit. My doctor thinks I should see a psychiatrist and not a psychologist. He thinks I am having an existentialistic crisis. I think he is off there, my anxiety gets high when a relationship goes bad. I am having tough times dealing with emotions and that mind chatter that is negative towards relationship issues. I have tried lots of therapy but am now in can I control the crying just starts out of nowhere! and the it normal? thanks in advance
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time right now. It sounds like this has been a frustrating experience with the bad relationship and the medication changes. It is fairly common for people to experience side-effects, (including nausea, shaking) when starting Celexa. You may want to talk with your Dr. about decreasing the dosage for a short time, and then increasing it again once you have become more tolerant of the medication. Or, since you have been on effexor and it worked for you, you might want to think about changing back to Effexor. Be patient with the medication - sometimes it takes a little time to find the right medication and the right dosage.

In terms of you seeing a psychiatrist, I don't know that that would be the best thing for you under the circumstances. Even if you are having an existential crisis, in my opinion, you are better off seeing a psychotherapist or a psychologist as opposed to a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are great at working with you on medication for mental health issues - but they honestly are not your best choice for working on any type of therapeutic issue. So while I would agree that you would probably benefit by getting some therapy right now, I would point you away from a psychiatrist (unless you want to work with one in order to get your medication correct). Find a good therapist to talk with about how you are feeling, and about how hard it is for you when a relationship ends. They can help you with some skills to control your negative self-talk and negative thinking, and thus help you feel better overall.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for the insight. My doctor probably thinks I need major help when all it is concerns distorted thinking.
I would agree - it sounds like you would do just fine with some therapy. Good luck with everything, and please let me know if I can help you further. Tamara