Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

I am having a hard time coming off cymbalta. Reducing from

I am having a hard time coming off cymbalta. Reducing from 60mg daily to 60mg and 30mg on alternate days. I will be on 30mg only in two weeks time for 3 weeks and then i stop completely. Is there any help. I already have vertigo and diarrhea
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time stopping the Cymbalta. It is actually one of the more difficult anti-depressants to withdraw from, as it tends to produce a lot of uncomfortable symptoms for many people. I would suggest you talk to your Dr. and get more medication so that you can taper off more slowly. Even though what you are doing seems like it should work OK, everyone is different, and you need to have the leeway to manage your withdrawal in a manner that works for you. You might also want to talk with your Dr. about taking Prozac along with your Cymbalta while you taper off. Prozac has a much longer half-life, and therefore will help moderate the symptoms of the Cymbalta withdrawal. And because of the long half-life, it is much easier to stop taking once you are done.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara