Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

i have severe gad im taking clonozapam, inderal , and buspar.

i have severe gad im taking clonozapam, inderal , and buspar. im taking 10 mg od buspar two time a day ive been taking it for about 13 days now and am not feeling any different. how long does it take to feel affects and also what is the usual dosage for gad because im thinking maybe the dosage neeeds to be upped. do you think this is a good mix. is there any thing else u can recommend that can help me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

It is a good mix because it is trying to address the anxiety in different ways. Buspar is FDA approved for up to 60mg/day (split into 2-3 doses per day). Since it has been two weeks since you started, and this is a medication that the body processes quickly, it's probably time to consider a higher dose to see if that brings you any benefit. The manufacturer recommends increasing by 5mg per day increments every 2-3 days.

I think trying a higher dose before trying to change medications again would be the best choice for now. I think the best treatment for anxiety disorders is a combination of medication and psychotherapy (I recommend Dialectical Behavior Therapy for GAD).