Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

If there is someone around the age of 25 who has suffered from

If there is someone around the age of 25 who has suffered from feelings of low self-worth for most of their life (due to a combination of personality and traumatic childhood events and they can trace these feeling back to age 5) is there a good chance they can resolve these feelings through seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? How long may it take? What makes them more successful?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean "what makes them more successful?" Tamara
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just mean that I want more than anything to resolve these issues- I dont really know where to start and am curious if there are certain people i need to help me, or actions I can take that will be helpful as I try

Expert:  Tamara replied 4 years ago.
Well, in answer to your original question, yes, I do think it's possible to resolve many of those feelings of low self-worth with the help of a good psychologist or therapist. And the fact that you really want to do so will make it much more likely to happen. One of the best things you can do, esp. at this point in your life, is to recognize and accept that self-improvement/growth is a life-long PROCESS, and that you never really arrive at the destination. Every time you grow and change, you create more opportunities for growth and change, more directions to go, more desires to be an even better and happier person. This is a good thing, although it can sometimes feel discouraging because many people erroneously interpret this as failure. You are fortunate that you have the desire to change, and you will be fortunate if this desire stays with you through your life. So when you seek the help of a therapist, keep this in mind. Go into it with an open mind and a willingness to learn whatever you can that will move you in the direction that you want to go. Make self-improvement a goal, whether you are in therapy or not. Read self-help books, find people who inspire you to be a better person, avoid negative people and situations, learn to think like a happy, successful person. All of this will be of tremendous benefit in the long run. So yes, therapy will help, as will being open to trying whatever you think might improve your life. Adopt this attitude now, and you will no doubt overcome your past, and be even more than you can even envision at this point in your life!

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: 20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified