Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I was on Effexor for 8 years for depression and then went

I was on Effexor for 8 years for depression and then went off it 2 months ago. I was doing okay for three weeks or so and then horrible shaking, tremors, crying, inability to relax began and the GP has gotten me back on Effexor...up to 300mg a day, now for two weeks, but I am having difficulty to cope and do things at home, to relax and crying often. I don't think the medicine is working. And I don't know what to do.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. Effexor is notorious for causing bad discontinuation symptoms, so I'm not surprised to hear that you are experiencing difficulty in stopping. I certainly hope that your Dr. had you taper off the Effexor, very slowly, in order to minimize any problems. Even with tapering, many people continue to experience problems (crying, shaking, nausea, depression, anxiety, etc) and have to increase the dosage again for a short time, and then begin slowly tapering off again. This can be a long, slow process, so you will have to give it time. Talk with your Dr. about tapering off the medication, very slowly, and do your best to remind yourself that these feelings are likely due to the medication, not to a problem with you. You may also want to talk to your Dr. about taking Prozac as you taper off the Effexor. It can make the withdraw symptoms much more tolerable and less bothersome.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara