Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I have been taking trazadone 150 mg for 2 years along with

I have been taking trazadone 150 mg for 2 years along with 2mg of clonazepam for two years for sleep. Now I cannot sleep longer than 4-5 hours a night as this medication seems to be not helping me. I have been to a clinic where the nurse practitioner suggested the same meds (I am also taking effexor 75 mg twice daily) for depression and anxiety. My husband has recently been diagnosed with Parkinsonism's Disease. Do you have any suggestions about medication changes I could bring up the the N.P as I see her on this coming Thursday? All I want to get is a good 7-8 hours sleep. I have tried ambien and I have nightmares. Thank you. Christine
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry that you are having these problems sleeping. The combination of your age, and the medication you are on is going to make it difficult to get a good night's sleep. Honestly, I have found that people have much more success with a combination of tryptophan and melatonin (natural amino acids), which are both over the counter medications and don't need a prescription. So why don't you talk with her about this and see what she says. They aren't addictive, and don't have side effects.

Best wishes, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Tamara