Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

My child has constant night terrors since birth almost every

My child has constant night terrors since birth almost every day, he is now 4. Is very oppositional, get frustrated very easily, scratches constanly until taking the skin off, and digs them our over and over again. Gives tantrums constanly and is very oppositional. Do I really need medical treatment for him or is just only a phase in his life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

This sounds like it's time for your son to be seen by a child psychologist. His symptoms and their frequency are not normal, and causing both you and him distress. The earlier he can be seen, and diagnosed, the earlier treatment can start to try to teach him healthier ways of coping and expressing his frustrations. If you have a pediatrician or family doctor, they should be able to give you a referral to a child psychologist that they respect. But I wouldn't let you, or your son, have to go through this much longer without help.

Selah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think He should she a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist? Which will be the best for his situation? Also, Is there a good book or author I can read about parenting a child with these syntoms? In the meantime besides finding a Dr. what should I do until then?

Thanks for everything!

Faby

I would recommend a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist. Psychologists do more in-depth testing (intelligence, behavior, processing, autism spectrum, etc.) and are able to spend more time with a patient. When you call child psychologists to find one to schedule with, tell them that you are looking for someone who can perform an evaluation on your child for the autism spectrum disorders. A clinician who is trained in that area and testing should also have other testing available to help rule out other childhood disorders. After you've had an evaluation of your child, that psychologist can then recommend counseling, play therapy, behavioral modification therapy, or psychiatry (medication) if needed.

I can't recommend a book yet because these symptoms could be more than one disorder, and I could recommend one that is for the wrong disorder. After you've gotten a diagnosis from the psychologists you can find this question again and let me know the diagnosis (even if it's old you can still find it in your account and reply).

First you have to know what you're dealing with, and what forms of education/communication are going to be most effective with this child based. That's one of the things a full evaluation will be able to tell you.

Selah
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. I am looking into a specialist who can give a comprehensive evaluation of my son, and also who can help us a parents to twick the way we hadle his behavior. We will be in touch.