Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Its more complicated than what your expert realises, the C.P.N

Its more complicated than what your expert realises, the C.P.N involved refused to give him the injection 3 days later when I challenged him about his attitude, he said I will see you next time, and never offered the injection again, one or tw0 things happened sfter which I was not impressed with, I took Jason into hospital my self, when they come to section him he was not ill, after 5/6 days when I saw him he was terrible, after this change,I left him very well I asked later why she secyion and made him go to hospital her answer was he refused his injection twice Jasondid not refuse his injection twice I have looked after Jason al his life and I beleive because of this C.P.N she deliberately made him ill, I worked hard in conjunction with this to get my son very well and it all went wrong because this C.P.N did not have the abiliy to act like a good nurse would do, I have looked after my brother for ovaer fify yearshe is not here but my son and my brothrt were not deliberately made ill. I have made a complaint but Ive whitewased, I have even said to her The C.P.N should not have acted like he did and he should not have had the medication to make him ill, her reply to me forget the past, Like hell I will, my son my wife and I have gone through hell, especially I being a ex patient of Stafford hospital, obviousely your anser has not helped
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you want, as you have not phrased a question, but have described a situation.

You previously asked a question: "if he was worried and said no to his injection, but still was taking his tablets and did not deteriorate, would you reintroduce his risperdal injection as soon as posibleto keep him well" and I provided a professional answer to that question based on the information you provided.

If a patient refuses to take their medication (which according to you he did refuse), and later changes their mind, the treating practitioner may or may not decide to return to the previous medication. *Most* would maintain a combination that has been working, and would understand that patients sometimes changes their minds and then change them back again (especially with psychiatric medications). For whatever reason (fatigue, burnout, lack of concern, maliciousness) this CPN, based on your description, refused to give a medication that had previously been refused by the patient. I don't agree with changing a combination that is working for the patient to a combination that has previously failed the patient, but I have no authority over the treatment.

I understand the desire to fight for the best care possible for people you love. You have more limited options in your country when it comes to firing doctors or refusing to work with specific professionals with whom you have conflict, a different opinion, or have lost faith in their ability to provide quality care. You can complain to licensing boards/regulatory boards, managing staff/doctors, or even consult with a lawyer in your area to see if a malpractice case is an option or if you have grounds to legally attempt to force assignment to a new health care professional.

Be careful what you're fighting for. Lodging complaints is good and wise, and helps build up a pattern of mistreatment or malpractice if the same issues keeps getting reported by different patient/families. But fighting to try to get someone fired or punished for their clinical decisions, which they can support ("Patient refused the medication so I agreed with his wishes."), only get you and the patient labeled as "difficult to work with." What I think you're really fighting for, or should be focused on, is fighting for the better medication combination to be reinstated (to avoid another two year spiral of worsening symptoms, negative medication side-effects, hard recovery work to get back to where he was before this issue started).

If you have additional questions or clarifications, feel free to post it as a reply.

Sincerely,
Selah

Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.