Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

I have two sons, one is 8 and the other 6. I have just found

Customer Question

I have two sons, one is 8 and the other 6. I have just found out that the 6 year old neighbor who is a girl has engaged them in inappropriate sexual behavior. I have talked to them about it without shaming them and they seem to understand that it is not right. She is not allowed over anymore. Should I bring them to someone or is that making too much of a big deal over it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
What happened exactly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She sucked on my 6 year old's penis and he kissed her vagina. My 8 year old didn't say exactly what happened but I know that something did previously. I thought at the time it was show me yours and I will show you mine, but since my six year old told me what happened with him , I think it was more.
Yes, I agree it was more. This girl was exposed to inappropriate material or people. In this day and age, this behavior is shown on South Park and children are teaching each other to go to the computer and "type in S-E-X to see pictures". It is a scary time. hopefully you told her parents.

So take this opportunity to teach about privacy and private parts ( and yes, without shaming), bad touch and good touch, etc, etc. It is the one whose not talking that you need to worry about. He may feel shame anyway. I would find him a therapist (a safe person to talk to) who has experience with this.

Needless to say, from now on, they will require that an adult is always supervising them and knowing what they are up to.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you! I will do that. My older one is more like me, he holds it in and is very critical of himself. I don't want that for him because I know how bad it feels.

Thanks again.

Thanks for validating that. All the more reason to intervene with him. It's always those quiet ones we worry about!!