Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
45885103

I recently had to 302 my boyfriend after we broke up because

Customer Question

I recently had to 302 my boyfriend after we broke up because he expressed suicidal thoughts. He is currently in inpatient treatment on the intial 302, and it is yet to be determined whether he needs further inpatient care. I know that I made the right decision to separate myself from a romantic relationship from him, but I am worried about his recovery. He does not have a close relationship with his family and I do not believe he has an adequate support system. I want to help him, but at the same time, I think he needs to learn to rely on his family and friends. I am just concerned that he will not reach out to them or that they will not aid his recovery. I've spoken with several friends abou the issue, and they think that I should cut off contact with him when he gets out of the hospital. I'm not sure what to do. I do not want to get sucked back into a relationship with him, but I did promise him that I would be there for him and I want him to get well. ppp
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Steven Olsen replied 6 years ago.

It is common to feel torn about such an issue and I can appreciate your divided feelings. On one side you want him to feel better but are also concerned that you may not be able to handle a relationship with him. You made a promise to him and feel obligated.

Is there any reason why a decision to maintain this relationship has to be made immediately? You can still fulfill your promise and then make a decision about your relationship...No one can really make this choice but you but it seems there is a middle ground that is not being fully explored.