Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

Several years ago my girlfriends parents were violently attacked

Several years ago my girlfriend's parents were violently attacked resulting in the death of her mother and disfiguring of her father. The trial relating to this incident recently came to a end and resulted in a conviction. Now she is struggling with the raising of these demons and is becoming distant. I know she is battling with depression, but I just don't know what to do to help her. Could you please offer some advice?

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

I cannot imagine the pain your friend must be in...what a horrific situation.

The best way you can help her is to find a therapist in your area who does EMDR for trauma. EMDR will help to take some of the horror out of her memories.

This is a treatment specifically for trauma, and works in a relatively short amount of time--perhaps as few as 6-8 sessions with a very experienced clinician. Talk therapy can also help, but I think you friend would benefit from EMDR. It has helped many veterans recover from the PTSD of combat, and I believe it will help your friend as well.

Here's a link to help you find such a therapist in your area. Given the intensity of her trauma, I suggest you try to find an approved consultant (they teach others how to do EMDR and will have the most experience) or , if none are available near you, at least a certified therapist. Here's the link for finding an EMDR therapist.

You are doing the right thing by being supportive. The trial just made all the memories fresh again, so don't take her "distance" personally.

My heart goes out to her--try to help her find help.

Suzanne

If this has been helpful, click on ACCEPT. If you need more info, just ask..