Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Pre-Employment screening; SAP 10 Panel w/nit (EMIT). Alprazalom

Pre-Employment screening; SAP 10 Panel w/nit (EMIT). Alprazalom is prescribed by a physician for insomnia. I am concerned as prospective new employer is a Drug Free Act of 1988 subscriber. I have moderate metabolism and consume large amounts of water daily & daily consumption of anti-oxidents. I never consume more than 1mg daily at bedtime. Please advise if this will test positive. I discontinued use approximately 5 days ago. I have declared on custody of sample documents and have Doctor's note to substanciate it is prescribed.
Your thoughts please.
Concerned Professional
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

My wife does drug testing at City here. If you declare it before take test and can show prescribed by MD, you should not be subject to policy if it does not impair ability to do job. Taking for sleep should be fine. It has a 4 hour half-life. In 5 days it won't show, but Drug Free is for illegal /non-prescribed drugs. They can't (shouldn't) ding you for legally prescribed drug used for legit purpose that does not interfere with job. Otherwise nobody would have a job. But to reiterate, it should not pop +. If you get in trouble, contact me. (Dr. Ed)

Customer:

Thanks Doc. My only concern is that in their new employee manual it specifically states 'controlled or illegal' substances. Not yet being employed by them makes me nervous that although everything thing else (background check, prior professional employment & pre-employment physical) the presence of benzodiazephine (legally prescribed) in my urine may influence their final decission.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Let me check for active metabolites - will take a minute or two. But "controlled or illegal" would not apply to you, but you never know what they may do. Back to you in a minute.

Customer:

Thank you Sir.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It has no active metabolites, which sometimes they test for what compounds it breaks down to. Within 48 hours, they wouldn't be likely to tell if you licked a tablet. Good luck on job.

Customer:

I will sleep easier after your advice.

Customer:

I will immediately accept this consultation.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Good. Glad to help.