Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I have been taking Seroxat for many years, the last few years

I have been taking Seroxat for many years, the last few years on 10mg, the last 6 months I have felt more anxious with fatigue, muscle tension and stiffness and a feeling of my old symptoms returning. I do want to come off Seroxat (Paxil) but do you feel these symptons are a return of my anxiety or that Seroxat has pooped out at 10mg and should I increase Seroxat which again I do not really want to do or switch to say Citalopram (Celexa) or Lexapro, what do you recommend? If I switch will I gt seroxat withdrawal and should I titrate seroxat down and at the same time titrate citalopram/lexapro up.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that the Seroxat doesn't seem to be working as well for you now as it has in the past. It is certainly possible that the muscle tension and stiffness, and the accompanying fatigue are symptoms of returning anxiety. It might be worth trying a different SSRI (lexapro or celexa), just to see if it seems to help with your symptoms. However, as you know, discontinuing Seroxat can cause some nasty withdrawal symptoms, so please don't undertake that without the guidance of your Dr.

If you don't want to increase or change medication (which I can certainly understand), it might be worth trying some alternative methods to see if you can decrease you muscle tension and stiffness, etc. Massage therapy would be worth looking into, as might acupuncture. Both could provide some targeted, specific relief to the symptoms, which might be enough to make the 10mg of Seroxat be acceptable again.

Good luck with everything, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara