Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

Is it possible that paran schizophrenia can be cured without

Is it possible that paranoid schizophrenia can be cured without the need for medication, or is it for life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
If you consider the past 50 years of research on the question you ask, it appears that roughly around 1/4 to 1/3 of people with schizophrenia show generally fair to good recovery; they become functional with few if any symptoms and end up having few or no episodes beyond their first one. About another 1/4 to 1/3 of persons show the need for significant, ongoing support and treatment. They may be able to hold jobs and get on well with a moderate amount of good social support. And, about 1/4 to 1/3 of patients show a debilitating and chronic course. Unfortunately, for those who do not recover, the disorder is lifelong. Also, this is a disorder of late adolescence and early adulthood onset for the most part. If a person passes beyond roughly the age of 35 to 40 and has never had an episode of schizophrenia, it is quite unlikely they ever will.

Certain types of schizophrenia seem to have somewhat better outcomes than others, one of them being paranoid schizophrenia. The outcomes are not dramatically better than the other diagnostic subtypes, but they are better.

No form of schizophrenia can likely be cured by any form of treatment. Medication and lifestyle management and good social support can improve the management of symptoms, help reduce the number of episodes and shorten episode recovery periods to some extent. However, this is very clearly a biologically-based disorder. The subtypes of schizophrenia are so different in some ways that I and other professionals suspect there may be multiple pathways or "causes" of different forms of what we call the family of Schizophrenia Disorders. So, the treatment approaches I've mentioned above can merely have some positive impact on however "severe" the form of schizophrenia a person has, or the subtype they have.

Let me know if I've overlooked any aspect your the question you asked. There are reputable websites that talk about the general course and outcomes found in large samples of patients diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia specifically.

Hope this was helpful to you.

"PLEASE....Be respectful of your expert. If the information they shared with you was helpful, confirm this by Accepting their answer and provide Feedback. Thank you!"