Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

I suffer with PTSD, Depression and anxiety. Recently I have

I suffer with PTSD, Depression and anxiety. Recently I have found comfort in my sons teddy bear. Does this mean I am relapsing, I am embarrassed but need the comfort of a cuddle, I find it hard to leave it at home to attend appointments. What will my doctor and psychiatrist think if they are told? Or if I get to the point where I have to take the teddy bear with me to the appointments I am 38yo.
Hi. I'm glad you posted this. While using a teddy bear for comfort is not generally regarded as age appropriate for an adult there is actually nothing fundamentally wrong with this. If cuddling a teddy bear makes you feel better so what! You have found something that helps you to feel better. OK, so maybe there are more age appropriate ways to self-sooth but this can be something you work on. Perhaps you could explore other things that may help make you feel better. Using a teddy bear does not necessarily mean you are relapsing - it means you are using it 'self-sooth'. However, if you are beginning to find that you are unable to be away from the teddy bear then this may be cause for concern. If you are finding that you need to self sooth more and more it may indicate that your health is deteriorating. If you find you are becoming distressed when the bear isn't present it may indicate that you are becoming a little obsessive. Regardless, you should definitely discuss this with your Psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are not there to judge people (in theory) and I would hope that they approach the matter professionally. I hope this has been of some help, best of luck!