Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My husband has been down about his job. On Saturday night when

Customer Question

My husband has been down about his job. On Saturday night when we were away with friends he seemed more exhuberant than normal (we had drunk some alcohol) and when we went to bed I made a critical remark concerning the extreme contrast between his behaviour that evening and that of the previous days when he was so down. I don't think he recognises this contrast. His reaction to my remark was to seemingly suffer a "pschological incident" - he sobbed till 3/4 am, kept repeating "I cant do this anymore", speaks to nobody, and he has drunk/eaten nothing since. The only thing he did was to appreciate we could not stay with our friends and he got in the car for me to drive him home yesterday. A similar incident to this has happened a couple of times in the last few years but I put them down to problems in his side of the family-deaths of parents etc. He never talks easily about feelings motions etc. I am concerned about the short-term effect of not taking water, but also if this is a condition that will increase in frequency if nothing is done to address it. He is 58 years old and I am 57.
Angela Jenner
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
I believe I can help answer your question, Angela.

I have a couple of questions, however, which I hope you can answer.

You note he is down on his job. What are you referring to regarding his job and in your mind, does this relate to his emotional breakdown after you mentioned the difference in his behavior (i.e., crying)

Do you have any idea what he meant when he said, "I can't do this anymore". What in particular do you guess he is saying he cannot do anymore?

Please elaborate about his stresses and troubles with his family. You appear to have connected his family difficulties with past, similar incidents like the one that just occurred.

What did he go to the doctor for 4 years ago specifically and while the doctor signed him off, was there any diagnosis or recommendation your husband was to follow through with?

You seem to have construed his problems to perhaps involve a complex of issues.