Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

If you had a patient suffering with schitzofrenia and was on

Customer Question

If you had a patient suffering with schitzofrenia and was on Amilsulpride tabs and risperdal 37.5 m inj., and he was told that he had got a swelling on his heart, if he was worried and said no to his injection, but still was taking his tablets and did not deteriorate, would you reintroduce his risperdal injection as soon as posibleto keep him well or stop his tablets and put him on traditonal-antisychotic which led to side-effects following which he was put on Olanpine plus sleeping tablets, he was absolutely very ill and put ona lot of weight, after continousely coplaining how hill he was, she put him back on the Amilsulpride tablets and risperdal in injection, when it was to late it took him 2 years to get over this, and back to something like, they forced on a guardianship which he did not want to go on, and they were trying to to talk him into having clozapinr which I refused on his behalf, he was illbecause he was given the wrong medication, could you give me a honest ansawer,my son has suffered and so has my wife and me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Without knowing the full history of how the mental illness has responded to different medications, or what other factors may have been going on at the same time as his "bad period" with the previous medications, it's hard to give an absolute answer. In general, if the three medications appeared to be working, and are safe to continue (i.e., they are not the cause and are not worsening the swelling around the heart), most psychiatrists would maintain the same combination until forced to make a change (negative side-effects, decreased efficacy of controlling the mental illness symptoms, negative effects on another mental or medical condition, etc.).

If, however, the psychiatrist was already feeling like these medications were losing their effectiveness, this may have created the opportunity to try a new combination. Sometimes trying a past failed medication again can have different results (such as if the overall combination is significantly different and there is reason to believe that the negative effects were caused by the other medications or by the interactions between them). If the change concerns you and the patient, and you are allowed to talk to the doctor at the next appointment with the patient, bring up your concerns and see what reasoning the doctor gives for making the change. It may not stop them from doing it, but you've registered your concerns and verified that they are aware that this new medication has had past bad reactions for this person.

Best wishes,
Selah