Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My 5 year old is very self conscious. She will bearly say hello

My 5 year old is very self conscious. She will bearly say hello to people she knows in the street, even her friends. When you have a joke with her she often thinks you are laughing at her and then will behave inappropriaely by hitting. She has however lots of fiends at school and is doing well at school. The teacher says she needs more confidence in bigger groups. Any suggestions?

Good Morning,

Her behavior may be triggered by social anxiety/or being shy/introverted. If there is anyway to elicit from her the reason for her behavior, it would give you something solid to work with.

You can encourage her to wave hello to others initially, and then continue to prompt her to say it (verbally) Try to see if for some time at least she agrees to the waving.

At home, you can stage some play with her (you can use dolls or puppets) and pretend to exchange greetings. You can switch roles, she can say hi and you don't (and ask her how that feels)

Also, you can read to her or make up stories about polite girls.

The Shy Child: Helping Children Triumph over Shyness [Paperback]

Ward K. Swallow (Author)