Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hi My name is Madeline. My child is 3 and readily uses the

Hi My name isXXXXX child is 3 and readily uses the toilet to urinate but when she feels the need to pass a motion she wont use the potty or the toilet and insists on having a nappy. She becomes totally hysterical if it is withheld. i have mostly ignored the problem and have only occasionally tried to persuade her to stop using a nappy. She has said that she is frightened of the toilet but then has no problem doing a wee. Please help as I don't know whether to go on ignoring the problem or to try and help her overcome it. i have tried the usual star charts and promises of a prize but all to no avail. She is going to play school and it would be much better for her to be out of nappies
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 6 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Mum,

Don 't concern yourself about the toilet training age. Accept her theory about being afraid of the toilet. Perhaps she still feels vulnerable. A bowel movement is a different process than urination.

Various pediatricians have various opinions. Pediatrician T. Berry Brazelton,
however, believes that toilet training is the child's decision to make; he warns that enforced toilet training can cause serious longterm problems, and that it is the child's decision when to stop wearing diapers, not the parents'.

Don't worry. She will grow to accept toilet training when she is ready.

If I have helped, please accept my answer so that I may carry on the important work of helping those with needs and pain.

Great Blessings,

Elliott Sewell,LPCC, NCC