Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

I lost my job 17 days ago due to disability discrimination.

I lost my job 17 days ago due to disability discrimination. I got my job three days ago. I've lost 20 pounds in two weeks and haven't been able to eat during this whole ordeal, sometimes going three days without eating. During the 14 days of being unemployed I've experienced a pounding heart, along with heart palpitations. My wife says that I pace back and forth, and that I'm obsessed with the nature of my termination. I figured reinstatement to my job would alleviate the symptoms I have, but its been three days and my symptoms are still here. In fact, I now have more symptoms since returning to work. No matter how hard I try, I can't stop thinking about anything and everything related to my termination. I have feelings of guilt, even though I don't have anything to feel guilty about. I feel like I am worthless, I'm paranoid, I'm seeing things that aren't really there, and I'm unhappy. I believe I'm depressed, but I just can't figure out why. I'm irritable, and don't even want to spend time with my family. I just want to be left alone by everyone, and talking to people takes a tremendous effort on my part. I don't know how much longer I can put on a fake smile for people. I love my wife and kids, and they deserve better than the nasty person I've been these last two weeks. Can anyone please help, and tell me what the heck is wrong with me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.

You are having a severe stress reaction to the situation you find yourself in. You should not wait until the 13th but go to an emergency room as soon as possible and be assessed for your mental health symptoms. The treatment will be medication and rest (and unfortunately) some more time off work. If you do not take heed and get help, you will end up admitted to the hospital involuntarily because you'll have a "nervous breakdown" (a non-medical term).

Please get help soon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you,

I will go to the emergency room tomorrow morning, and seek some help.