Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

What is wrong with me i am 19, i just graduated highschool

Customer Question

What is wrong with me i am 19, i just graduated highschool i cant decide what i wanna do because i procrastinate and wait till last min to decide, and even tho i graduated i still cant concentrate on anything, my mind just jumps from one thing to the next... I get urges to do things randomly like some times i wanna go to work and just quit and other times i
wake up and decide i am going shoping and take a friend on a life savings spending spree! Witch then triggers a bunch of stress when my parents ask if i have got enough saved up for a car.... And i get so mad... like over stupid stuff like if someone tells tells me to shut up its like i turn into the "hulk" as my mom would say... Is it still typical teen drama or should i get help? And i feel ackward asking for help now after spending 3 years of skiping and begging to get out of the councelling the school made me do. So should i wait it out or pay out of pocket to see someone?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am a Clinical Psychologist with a private practice in San Francisco downtown. I work with school-aged children, adolescents, and adults.

Your anxiety sounds like normal to many people of your age (19). It's difficult to decide and focus what to do next unless you got some guidance about work while you were in high school. Are you worried a lot now? That's why you started thinking of counseling?

Edited by Dr. Akira Olsen on 8/1/2010 at 6:26 AM EST
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

I think your problems - difficulty focusing and staying on a job - are typical of people of your age. It can be difficult to decide what to do next after finishing a high school. You need to set a goal for the future and plan from the goal. If you do not know what to do next, there are things you can try - read books on career choice, sees a career counselor, talk to adults who have the job that interests you.

If you worry and are anxious a lot, you will benefit from seeing a psychotherapist for not only that you can manage your overwhelming feelings but also that you may figure out what you really want to do now and later.

you can email me if you have more questions. Good luck!