Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

Im so frustrated with everything in my life. I have med terms

I'm so frustrated with everything in my life. I have med terms this week and a paper that I already got an extension because I procrastinate all the time and read romance novels(my newest obsession)instead of studying. I'm about the change schools and majors for the 4th time and I difficulty had work and my boss is always telling me to focus. I'm 34 years old and have not lived in one place for over a years in all of my adult life. I am happy to say will say I will reach 2 years at my current job(a first for me) but I'm certain that has more to do with the economy that my abilty to commit to anything.

I just need help, I don't feel like I'm functioning anymore.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

Have you ever considered that you could possibly have Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD)? I would not presume to offer a diagnosis on the basis of your short note, but frequent job changes, moves, and problems focusing in school are among the symptoms for Adult ADD.

You may want to read the book Driven to Distraction and see if it resonates with you. A book on ADD specifically for women may also be helpful. I love the title of this next classic ADD book: You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?

If after reading these books, you feel you might possibly be ADD, please consult with a psychiatrist to find out about medications that could help. You may be amazed at the difference one medication could make in your life.

If you think I'm totally off the mark, please respond using the INFO button, and I will opt out and let another expert work on your question.

But if this has given you something worth considering, please click ACCEPT.

Best Regards,

Suzanne

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I worry about the sigma about be diagnosed with an behavorial disorder; I'm sure is part of the reason I haven't sought help before(an the symptoms weren't so bothersome). Do these issues run in familes?

I just ask because my one of my sisters was diagnosed adhd, and another as bipolar. I'm just worried that this could just the start, and I'm afraid of what else a therapist may say is wrong with me.

Actually ADD does tend to run in families, as does bipolar disorder.

In my experience, there is no real stigma anymore to ADD....just about everyone knows or is related to a child who has it.

Bipolar disorder is less widely understood, but it is becoming a more common diagnosis. Again, many people will know someone else with that diagnosis.

I think any "stigma" either of these carry would be less than the stigma of a work history that shows a lot of job changes, etc.

The fact that your sister has ADD makes it much more likely that you also could have it. Don't let your life be chaotic just out of fear of what someone will say. The meds make a huge difference...you'll be so much more productive and happy with yourself.

You deserve a happy life, with stability and achievement. If you need medications to achieve that, then so be it.

There is no shame in having an illness. Do you love your sister any less now that you know she has ADD? I doubt it. Be as kind to yourself as you are to her, and get yourself the health care you need to thrive.

Suzanne