Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

i have aphobia of airports and have missed out on my holiday

i have aphobia of airports and have missed out on my holiday with my family i have medication from the doctor but i still couldnt make it to the airport. my family have rung me and said try try try to ge here you will have a great time. I WANT TO GO BUT THIS FEAR HAS REALLY GOT A GRIP OF ME>PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
hi there,

I see that you have tried hypnotherapy to help you with this, so my next recommendation would be that you find an EMDR therapist to help you to process away this fear. When we have fears such as yours, there is a belief that they are stuck in the subconscious mind and are not being processed away as they should be during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep at night time. EMDR simulates REM sleep and allows the anxiety and the other emotions to be processed away whilst you are awake during therapy. It is doubtful that this therapy would get you to the holiday that you would like to be on right now as it might take a few sessions, but it would put you in a positive place for next year! having said that, it might be worth asking a therapist if they would be willing to fast-track your therapy, depending upon how many days your family are still on holiday for. have a look on the website www.emdr.cofor more information and a therapist local to you. you will see it is a trauma therapy, and you may not be aware of any trauma, but that's quite natural and won't affect the therapy. All of the answers are in your subconscious mind and your therapist will do their best to guide you to identify them and process them away. i wish you well with this and hope you manage to get on a plane sometime soon. Best Wishes, Sarah