Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I am involved in a divorce. In the last few weeks I have discovered

I am involved in a divorce. In the last few weeks I have discovered my husband has a 20 year history in "crush" pornography with a 15 year history online. I have further discovered that he has over 2500 videos and pictures downloaded onto 5 different computer hard drives (those are just he ones he accidently left behind. He took at least 2 more with him, including the one he primarily used. Included in the ones I have discovered (through a computer forensic investigation) are "squish" videos involving insects, crawfish, crabs, and goldfish. I have also seen evidence that he has watched videos involving mice, turtles, and frogs.

In addition I have discovered "hentai" or anime' pornography involving very young appearing, child-like characters.

We have two small children a 5 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. I am very concerned regarding the psychological ramifications of his pornography interests.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

It sounds pretty clear that your husband has a rampant porn & masturbation addiction, but this doesn't mean that he's a pedophile. He very well could be, but the connection is not a direct one. Most pedophiles are sex addicts, but most sex addicts aren't pedophiles.

The ramifications for your children would come from being children of addiction and the losses that come from him being tied up in his addictive double life. Like the 'absentee parent' syndrome...even if he was 'there', he wasn't 'there'.

When I treat a family with active addiction in one of the parents, I suggest supervised visitation. When a person can't control their impulse to use, they move all kinds of priorities around to allow the addiction time to flourish...this most often shows up as neglected, unprotected children. Children of your's ages need a high level of supervision, so I wouldn't leave them with him unattended or overnight unless court ordered.

Let me give you some links to sites that will help you understand the sexual addiction/compulsivity issues at hand here.

Keep those hard drives and use them in court! Good move on that one.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.