Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

I play golf and get extremely nervous when others are watching

I play golf and get extremely nervous when others are watching - to the extent that I simply cannot function, will normally miss my shot, get upset and be almost unable to continue. What can I do to help myself?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning,

The behavior may be as a result of anxiety. There are some options to address that - 1/ hypnotherapy, 2/ auto suggestions (reprogramming your mind to respond differently in a given situation) The hypnosis can either be something you work with a therapist or use CDs (depending on what you want to do)

The auto suggestions would be something to formulate such as positive statements in the present tense such as " I perform well when on the golf course" I am relaxed and able to play well, etc) and when you have a negative though immediately resort to the other ones. These would best when done prior to bed or as you wake up while in a relaxed state when the brain is functioning at alpha brain levels.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. It's no more than advice I've been given before, which while it's valid, doesn't work. I get completely non-functional when others are watching and I feel pressure. I usually cry, and am frequently unable to continue. This is something I must get past, because it's driving me ( and my husband) crazy.Quitting is not an option. I simple have to solve this problem. Thanks, Annette
Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
hi there Annette,

I hope I am able to help you a little further. I agree with Dr Rossi's information regarding hypnotherapy, as this treatment can truly help someone such as your self to overcome the stress you are experiencing when people watch you playing golf. it is possible that you have some beliefs about people watching you that are lodged in your subconscious mind, perhaps from childhood, and it is this anxiety that you may be re-experiencing in the golfing forum. I would strongly suggest that you have a look at a website www.Anne-smith.co.uk Anne is a British former ladies champion golfer and is now a hypnotherapist, specializing in sport and in particular, golf. She will totally understand where you are coming from. I have done some training with her and she is truly a lovely lady. please feel free to mention my name - say Sarah has recommended her to you, the lady who brought her a flower from her garden. Anne may be able to help you directly, or maybe able to recommend a therapist in America for you, closer to home.

Alternatively, you could look into a therapy call EMDR which is based upon the theory that the stress you are experiencing during golf isn't being processed away at night time during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep and EMDR simulates REM whilst thinking about the anxiety, allowing it to be processed away. You can find more info and a local therapist at www.emdr.com

unfortunately, you are in a cycle of expecting to feel anxious and this can increase the anxiety during your golf play. The key is to break the cycle so that you expect to feel confident, calm and positive. I can guarantee that Anne will at least be able to have a helpful conversation with you. I do so hope this is helpful to you. Best Wishes, Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.