Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I am battling cocaine and alcohol addiction, I have been to

I am battling cocaine and alcohol addiction, I have been to many doctors who put me on drugs that changed my whole personality for worse, seroqel 300mg depakote 2200 mg, xanax 2mg, geodon. I saw another dr he said i am not bipolar, i have bipolar II. Now I am seeing a famous mood disorder Dr Brendan Montano, he says I have adhd and small bipolar, he is prescribing abilify 5 mg, lamactil orange starter , seroquel 100mg and one 50mg trazadone at night. here is problem, I won't take the serequel because I am groggy all day after i wake up, so.....as addict i use cocaine to wake me up. am I taking right course going on all these medications again and what will they do for me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

At least you've kept your sense of humor! You might want to try InTheRooms...you can go to online AA & NA without people asking for money or a chunk of your soul.

It's usually the trazedone that makes people groggy in the am, so I'd look there first....try taking it earlier in the evening - that usually solves the problem.

Does your doctor know that you're adding your own chemicals to the mix? The meds you're prescribed are not those used to normally treat ADHD and bipolar, so I don't know why you're on all of them. Perhaps to treat the symptoms of your other addictions? The mix is more like one for someone suffering from acute mania or psychosis, so I don't know what they'll do for you....but I can tell you that no one can predict what those meds will do for you when you're adding the unknown element of cocaine and/or alcohol.

Just so you don't feel left out from hearing the party line, I'll tell you that your addiction problems need to be solved before other ones will be cured. Lay that stuff down and then see what you really need treatment for...it'll work out better that way.

Take care & my best to you,
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.