Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

is it normal to to be so anxious after you start your medi

is it normal to to be so anxious after you start your medication
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
What medication are you on, and how long have you been on it? Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Zanex for a month and geodon for 3 days
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the further information. Obviously, it would be unlikely that the xanax is causing anxiety, as it is used for treating anxiety. However, the side effects of geodon do include restlessness and anxiety. Many people adjust to the side-effects of medication after and short time, and they are not as bothersome. So because you have only been on it for three days, I would suggest you wait a few more days to see if these symptoms start to decrease. If they don't, and you feel that it makes taking the medication intolerable, then you will need to talk with your Dr. about perhaps changing your medication. Unfortunately, taking medication sometimes involves making a decision between tolerating the symptoms of the disorder it is prescribed for - and tolerating the side-effects of the medication. So, unless the anxiety feels totally intolerable, give it awhile longer and see if it doesn't start to get better. If it doesn't, your Dr. will probably try a different medication that won't affect you as much.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara