Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

What methods apart from medication can be used to alleviate

What methods apart from medication can be used to alleviate anxiety? Please note that I am suffering from this now for no mental reason.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

The most effective treatment for anxiety (aside from medication) are cognitive based exercises designed to help you control/change your thoughts. What you think directly causes how you feel, and therefore if you can change your thoughts, you can very effectively change how you feel. You can do this with the help of a cognitive-behavioral therapist, or you can work on it on your own. If you would like to look into this more, I would recommend the following books: The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg and When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns. Both of these should help you begin this process and to deal effectively with your anxiety. If this doesn't seem to be enough, then I would recommend you see a CBT therapist for a short term to help you learn these skills in more depth.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara