Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I would like to know if i really do have ADHD I went to a psychiatrist

Customer Question

I would like to know if i really do have ADHD I went to a psychiatrist and he told me i was slightly depressed and gave me zoloft and vistaril for anxiety which niether one of them worked for me! I then went to my family practitioner and he gave me a adult ADHD test which i answered all of the questions in favor of being ADhd positive or meaning im 87 percent likely of being adhd positive so he perscribed me vyvanse 30 mg qd and ativan .5mg tid for anxiety this has worked so much better and i feel better but he said he cannot keep giving me refills unless i get a stamp of approval from a psychiatrist and the one i already went to didnt really help me with what i knew i already had! please help out with my dilemma do i really have adhd? and how do i go about getting my prescriptions refilled
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing JA

Are you saying you were tested by a
GP for adhd?

Thanks for the additional information so we can best help you from JA.

Warm regards, Cathy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes a gp tested me and i was considered combined adhd
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Are you or were you aware that a GP has not been trained and is not qualified to test for ADHD?

I would look for other providers with credentials to do the testing they are qualified for. A General Practicioner is not qualified to test anyone for ADHD.

I am about to sign off for the night but please let me know how I can best direct you on this?

Thanks

Cathy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont agree because he specializes in adhd and lyme disease so why would he give the testing....do i have adhd is what i want to know
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.

Are you saying to me that a general medical doctor specializes in a disorder that he studied for less than one hour in medical school?

Best wishes to you.

Cathy

Edited by cathy on 7/28/2010 at 4:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Let me see if I can help you with this issue. If the ADHD and anxiety medications make you feel better, and your GP doctor wants to confirm the diagnosis with a psychiatrist, he is practicing good medicine. Since you had a negative experience with the first psychiatrist you saw, please ask the GP for a referral. He probably has someone he works with, and that is the best way to find a good doctor. The other option is to check with your insurance company and ask them for a psychiatrist who is still accepting new patients. You can tell the insurance company that your GP wants a second opinion. Insurance companies are very cooperative with mental health issues needing a psychiatric evaluation, so I am sure they will assist you.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience