Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I am 37 and have always had a deep desire to be organized but

Customer Question

I am 37 and have always had a deep desire to be organized but have a lot of trouble getting organized. In fact, sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with everything I have to do, I do nothing at all and then it just gets worse. I am also very forgetful, am being treated for depression, and have a tendency for financial problems due to my procrastination. Any ideas about what my problem is?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

I agree your problems are due to more than just your personality. Often people who procrastinate are actually perfectionists, who will not begin a task until they are sure they can do it perfectly. The feeling of being overwhelmed can also be a symptom of perfectionism, which usually indicates a great deal of anxiety.

If you are forgetful, that can be due to stress, our old friend anxiety, and of course the depression. If the Wellbutrin is causing you to be so laid back that you are not paying bills, you may need a different medication.

You may wish to ask the doctor for Provigil, which is sometimes used to augment the antidepressant and gives the patient more energy and focus. It may help you to be able to achieve your goals.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy may be helpful, which will allow you to clarify goals and establish objective to work toward those goals. People who become overwhelmed easily just need to break things down into more manageable pieces.

You may also find one of several books on getting organized. Suggestions are:

All available at

Best to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank-you. You have just confirmed what I was told my one of my instructors who happens to be a psychologist herself (noticed I had a hard time turning papers in by deadline-- but that they often went above and beyond what is assigned). I had a hard time believing that my procrastination was due to perfectionism because I have been told so many times that it is due to laziness. What you say about not beginning a task until I have time to do it perfectly is absolutely true and after hearing it twice is making more sense. Also, anxiety disorders run in my family so this also makes sense. I will speak to my doctor about adding Provigil as it sounds helpful. I appreciate your answer. Yours truly, Susan
My pleasure. Best to you in the future. Remember, no matter what anyone tells you, you are NOT lazy.