Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

I am reading a book where the main characters psychiatrist

I am reading a book where the main character's psychiatrist says,"he experiences very intense anxiety surrounding phallic and sadistic sexuality because of his aggressive strivings. However, these phallic strivings are also in conflict with his gross passive dependency needs. This conflict prevents any mature heterosexual adjustment." What dis this mean? Thanks...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam!

Thanks for your question. I would reword this as follows;

As a result of his desire to release aggression, he is very anxious when he is in the vicinity of male sexuality or sexual violence. However, these desires he has for male sexuality are in contrast ( and conflict) with his strong needs to be very placidly attached to someone and to be dependent upon them.

So basically, this man is very much reliant in his nature upon a significant other person in his life, to the extent that it is excessive (dependent) yet he also has yearnings for aggression, that is triggered by male or violent sexual stuff. He seems to have two strong sides to his character and they appear to be opposing or in conflict with each other.

I hope this helps! Best Wishes, Sarah