Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

what is chronic dysphoria My ex was told by two different

what is chronic dysphoria? My ex was told by two different GPs that he probably has this condition but I can't find any info online that doesn't relate to BP disorder and GP approach has been to "wait and see", for at least the past year he has had trouble sleeping (more so than usual as he has never slept well), lost all interest in sex, never wants to socialise and basically seems devoid of any kind of emotion. We split up couple of months ago - his choice, but I worry about him as I would like him to find a way to be happy. Is there any treatment available for this condition? He is 29 years old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Chronic dysphoria is another name for light depression, although it sounds like your ex's condition qualifies as Major Depression . Perhaps during his exam he didn't really talk much about his symptoms so they underplayed it. Treatment with SSRI medication is simple. It's odd to me that they didn't treat him and then 'wait and see', which would be more normal.

I attached an article on the blue link for you to read...I think it will make it very clear to you.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it was depression. Although I would imagine he downplayed it as he thinks you have to feel down to have depression, whereas he feels "nothing". Will pass on info to him and hope he seeks help.