Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My 18 year old daughter lies and steals. Its almost like an

My 18 year old daughter lies and steals. Its almost like an addiction. It has a massive impact on our family. We want to get help for her. Should we look for a therapist, psychotherapist, psychiatrist? Who would be best to help her?
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

I would look for an counselor who works with addictions, as I'm sure you're picking up on something there. Many social workers and family therapists have that specialty alongside their others skills, and this will help you get two birds with one stone.

Here is a great article on what to expect from therapy.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication if needed, but most do not do much counseling. They're great at diagnosing problems, so if the counseling isn't bearing fruit and it looks like she may have strong Obsessive Compulsive issues, then I would seek an evaluation with a psychiatrist.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna