Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and have always

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and have always enjoyed a good sex life even though neither of us has had a particularly high sex drive. However in the last year or so my husband has had problems with getting and maintaining an erection. He has seen the GP and had all the usual tests that were needed. All of which were okay. He has stopped smoking and is a fairly healthy if slightly overweight person. He is only 41 and is mortified that this has happened to him. What do we do from here?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

The Squeeze technique is a tried and true way for couples to overcome this problem, and when it doesn't work, it's time for pharmaceuticals. If he's suffering from depression, it could be putting enough pressure on his libido to give him trouble, but one of the side effects of antidepressant meds is lower libido and difficulty reaching orgasm. The other route is Viagra type meds, which many men over 40 are using. You'd be surprised at how 40 seems to be the magic age for trouble in that area. The 4th route is couples counseling evaluation to find out if there is some hidden issue effecting the coupleship that is showing up in the bedroom.

Technique
link tips

You were spot on to check out all the physical responses first, so now you're set to move to the next options which I've listed above.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.