Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

I stopped taking Zoloft for postpartum issues about a month

I stopped taking Zoloft for postpartum issues about a month ago (after being on it for about 1.25 years) and have had a recurrence of my symptoms about two weeks ago. I have been back on the medication about a week now and have noticed some improvement -- but I am still having quite a bit of anxiety about the medication not working fully. Is medication that helped previously likely to work the same way? Because I started the medication so promptly, should recovery be quicker than if I had waited?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing some ongoing symptoms of depression, but I'm glad to hear that you have gone back on the medication. You have only been on it for a week, so you need to be patient and give it more time to work. There is no reason that it shouldn't work just as well for you now as it did previously - but it takes longer than a week for the levels to build up enough for you to experience the full effect. Give it 2-3 more weeks, and if you still aren't feeling as well as you think you should, talk with your Dr. about increasing the dose, or trying a different medication. But given that it has only been a week, I think in a couple more weeks you will be feeling much better.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you -- is there a benefit to having started the medication so quickly? I read somewhere that SSRIs can initially make anxiety a bit worse before they resolve it. Does that happen often?
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
If you have a history of depression, it is certainly to your benefit to start the medication again as soon as you think that you are headed in that direction. Some people react with anxiety to SSRI's, and some people find that they relieve anxiety. Also, if you feel anxiety and it seems like a side-effect, that feeling can frequently go away after you have been on them for a few weeks. The best option is to just give it more time, see how you feel, and adjust to any side effects. Then you will be able to know if it's the right medication for you at this time. Good luck. Tamara