Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

i am concerned about taking geodon

i am concerned about taking geodon
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied with the answer.

Can you clarify exactly what your concern is, and why the doctor prescribed it for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the side effects i don't have schizo or bi polar or pychosis
Hello again:

If you do not have bipolar or psychosis, why did the doctor prescribe it for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had a panic attack a month ago which resulted in depersonalization and derealization and he thinks i have hypo-mania. will hypo-mania go away with taking antidepressants and zanex. i have heard so much bad about geodon.
Thanks for the clarification. No, hypomania will not go away with antidepressants and xanax. The antidepressants work for anxiety and the xanax for acute anxiety. I must say I am puzzled by the choice of geodon. There are side effects, but you can immediately stop the medication if you believe you are developing side effects.

You might try asking the doc if you can just take the antidepressant with the xanax as needed to see if your symptoms resolve. If not, then you know you need a mood stabilizer, also, which is what geodon does. If the geodon worries you please ask for another medication. You can take Abilify, Trileptol, or Lamictal, all of which are generally tolerated very well.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should the depersonaliozation and derealization go away with antiddepressants. i really thought i was going crazy and im not sure that im not. will the hypomania be ok untreated. i do not feel like spending money or leaving the house. i lay on my couch all day.
Yes, the depersonalization and derealization are symptoms of anxiety, and as such are generally treated with antidepressants. You are not going crazy. That is just a symptom of a severe panic attack.

I can't say if the hypomania will be OK untreated. It depends on how debilitating it is. If you are laying on your coach all day, you are most likely depressed and that needs to be treated also.

I know you don't want to spend money, but you really should get another opinion about what is going on with you, and give the doctor a chance to put you on a medication that doesn't scare you.

Please either see your doctor or another one for a second opinion. You should not ignore these symptoms.

My best to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i know he said it sent me into depersonalization derealization and hypo mania but i don't feel manic i was just afraid i went crazy i am now on lexapro and xanax
OK, just stick with that for a while and see if you feel better. If you have another episode of hypomania, then see the doctor and ask for a mood stabilizer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have sort of lost the idea of going crazy i dont know if thats good or bad but i still have some symptoms like depersonalization that comes and goes and when i'm outside it kind of freaks me out but i don't understand the whole mania thing i don't have any of the symptoms i do not want to take risk i do not feel like spending money and i can sleep as long as i take my xanax
Again, without spending time with you and doing an evaluation myself, I can only suggest that you take a "wait and see" attitude. If the depersonalization continues you may need to ask for a higher dose of Lexapro, which should help with the anxiety.

If your symptoms get worse, you will need to try a mood stabilizer. All we can do right now is wait to see if things get better, worse, or stay the same. There is no way to tell which will happen at this point.

I wish you well and I hope this has been helpful.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it scares me to take the geodon because of the side effects but at the same time i am afraid if i do not take it i will go crazy is that possible'