Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

Please help! My eating disorder is killing me. On top of that,

Please help! My eating disorder is killing me. On top of that, I am trying to deal with sexual abuse (it lasted over 10 years), emotional and mental abuse, and the loss of my dad. I don't have insurance. I have called everywhere, and because of the eating disorder, no one will treat me. What do I do? Just wait and let it kill me?
Hello and thanks for your question. Have you heard of EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, which is a therapy that allows clients to process away irrational beliefs and emotions that have been stuck in the subconscious mind from the past? We often don't know that the beliefs are there, but the subconscious mind has a powerful effect on our current behaviour. I am currently working with lot of ladies who eat too much food, mostly for comfort - they aren't hungry and don't feel any better afterwards - usually a combination of guilty and frustrated. EMDR can help to unearth and process away the beliefs and the unnecessary emotions that are attached to the memories. It's as if the beliefs distort their view of the world, for example, a person can believe "I'm not good enough" and many things that they do are viewed through this perspective/distortion, so nothing seems good enough or worth it. the beliefs are individual to everyone and are a product of their past, so experiencing 10 years of sexual, emotional and physical abuse plus the loss of your dad is likely to have created some distortions. With the info you have given so far, I would imagine that the eating disorder could very well be a symptom of the past you have experienced. You could search for a local therapist at, where you will also find more details about EMDR. You will see it is a treatment for trauma, which can be seen as highly emotional situations, which it sounds like you have experienced for a long time.

I hope this is useful for you. You are reacting in a normal way to abnormal experiences and you are not to blame. be kind to yourself, you deserve it. Best Wishes, Sarah