Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

my partener, usually calm and soft-spoken, turns immediately

my partener, usually calm and soft-spoken, turns immediately beligerent and yells if I accuse him of not telling the truth. In his case it would seem to point to his guilt. How can I find out if he IS lying. Are pathological lyers able to pass a polygraph test?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Are you saying that you are considering having your partner take a polygraph test? Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that has been one consideration.
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Wow. If you are actually considering doing that, then I think you really need to consider just getting out of this relationship. It seems that if you are at that point, then you have considerable information and reason to think that he is lying about some very important things. The fact that you are even at that point would indicate to me that he likely is lying, and this relationship has run it's course.

In terms of being able to pass a polygraph test, some people are able to do it, and I would think that someone who is a very practiced liar would have a better chance at succeeding at that than someone who isn't. But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the trust in your relationship is already nonexistant, so really - why bother. Save yourself the humiliation and expense, and move on.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara