Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Dear Dr. Oz (and your colleagues) I am depressed -- and have

Dear Dr. Oz (and your colleagues): I am depressed -- and have been for most of my life. Honest. I learned (early on) that this was just "the blues," and that these were normal (and passing); and one should always "suck it up." I have done that (if not always, then at least, for most of my life), and I'm here to tell you that this is not (or is no longer [for me]) true -- and (if it ever did work) no longer works. Clearly, I've done something wrong. Now I see ads on TV that (paraphrase follows) "...if this pill doesn't work, add this one...." OMG. Am I just being a big bloody baby (i.e., examining my navel too much)? I have had -- and done much to rescue -- help for my mental health: cognizant therapy, acupuncture, yoga (my body is too damaged to be that good at it, but I get the process),
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had such trouble with depression for your whole life. I know it can become very burdensome, and I'm sure you are tired of it. Depression, esp. depression that is so long-standing (as yours is) can become difficult to treat because (honestly) I think people tend to give up on it. When it starts to feel unfixable, there is a tendency to throw more pills at it, and try this or that, and just hope that something works. In the process, YOU give up on yourself, and that just makes the whole situation worse.

So in answer to your question, I would say yes, you are probably examining your navel too much. The more focus you put on your depression, the worse it is going to get. Now focusing on your depression is the norm, it's a habit, and you are probably checking in with yourself all the time wondering "how am I feeling right now?," "am I depressed?," "is this going to make me feel better or worse?," etc. When you focus on how bad you feel, you're going to feel bad. Period. Even if your intent is to feel better, it's just going to be worse. The reason that "faking it" was the most successful is that you were making yourself act like someone who didn't feel depressed, and therefore, you felt less depressed. So your best chance to feel better is to do whatever you can to stop overly examining your mood and stop seeing yourself as a depressed person who doesn't have control over anything and who is doomed to feel this way forever. It's not true. See yourself as a mentally healthy person who feels good and enjoys life, act like that is the truth, and you will feel better. Keep building on that, and "fake it til you make it."

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Tamara: Thanks for your input and your keen grasp of the obvious. Don't worry; I have paid for your time. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Wells (Note: I attach my full name/ID.)
Thank you Catherine. I appreciate it. Take care. Tamara