Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My wife has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder I. What

My wife has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder I. What is the standard treatment for this disorder and why normally is a neuroleptic drug prescribed along with a mood stabilizer for it? What are the normal neuroleptics prescibed and normal mood stabilizers? What other drugs are employed to treat this illness if any? Thank you. XXXXX XXXXX
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied with the answer.

Standard treatment for Bipolar I doesn't always include neuroleptics, which are also known as antipsychotics. They are only used in cases of significant mania, especially if there are delusions and hallucinations with the mania.

The mood stabilizer works on the depressive symptoms. Sometimes a patient is given an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer and an antipsychotic in order to manage all of the symptoms.

In my practice, I mostly see Respirdal, Zyprexa, Geodon and Seroquel used most often for the manic symptoms. The most common drug used for the depressive symptoms is Lamictal, followed by Abilify, then lithium, Tegretol and Depakote.

All of these drugs have pros and cons and all of them have side effects. Some doctors are starting to recommend omega 3 fatty acids or fish oil to help stabilize mood.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just the drugs I see most often in my practice for bipolar patients. Please let me know if you have further questions.