Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My Nephew is having behavioral outburst. Nothing seems to help

My Nephew is having behavioral outburst. Nothing seems to help grounding to time out. It all started when his little brother was born but everything he gets introuble for has nothing to do with his brother and the 2 of them get along great it is like seeing 2 different kids in one child. one min he is respectful using his please and thank yous and next min he would be hitting pinching scrathing screaming kicking biting and head butting. and you can not calm him down we have also tried just sitting down and talking to him none of which works and I was just wondering if any of this sounded familiar and if it is considered normal for a 4-7 year old boy. we grew up with all girls so I was wondering if it was just a little boy growing up
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied with the answer.

Your nephew needs to be evaluated by a child psychologist. This behavior is alarming for a 4-7 year old boy. It is absolutely not normal. You need to rule out childhood bipolar disorder. This needs to be addressed immediately, because if it is bipolar he cannot help it and he is being punished for something he cannot control. This will negatively impact his self esteem.

Please talk to the child's parents and urge them to get an evaluation for him. This will just get worse. He will not outgrow it. He needs to be properly diagnosed and treated for this condition.

My best to all of you.