Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Hello, I limit my calorie intake to 500 calories and have lost

Hello, I limit my calorie intake to 500 calories and have lost 2 stone in 2 months, i was going to the gym 5 hours per week but due to having no energy have not done this recently, i also feel self conscious going to the gym as i am aware i look a bit under weight, and feel uncomfortable as alot of people mention it (i dont look in the mirror and think im fat) however i cant bring myself to gain weight as i feel its the only thing i do have any control over in my life at the moment. ive stopped coping at work, feel anxious all the time, i went on holiday and ended up coming home early and leaving all my belongings as i felt anxous about food/self conscious on the beach and generally low in mood and wanted to be at home. I am 5,6 and weigh just under 8stone, i have missed one period. I desprately want to just get back to work and start coping with stuff better but i dont want to put weight on and this is all people suggest! i dont binge, i dont induce vomiting, i occassionally use laxatives however only when i get upset or stressed and feel im loosing control. Do you have any advice for me? thank you!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied with the answer.

Well, it doesn't take a dietitian to know that you are consuming far too few calories. I understand that you don't have the classic symptoms of anorexia, but when someone says to me they like the control they have by limiting calories, I become alarmed.

Instead of focusing on putting weight on, why not try to increase your caloric intake just to have the energy you want. I am sure you are not getting enough protein, carbs and fiber. My calculations are that you are about 112 pounds at 5' 6", which is a little on the light side. How about increasing calories by 100 per day for one week and see how you feel?

It is also of concern that you have missed one period. While it might not be due to anorexia, it most certainly is due to stress. My suggestion is that you work with a therapist to address your anxiety and increase your coping skills. Find a cognitive-behavioral therapist. You may find that you need an SSRI medication,also.

There is treatment for this issue, but you need to reach out and see a professional who can work with your anxiety. Please do this for yourself and try to make decisions to be healthy and let the weight take care of itself.

I wish you well and send my warm regards,
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience