Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

my 4 year old is obsessed with wearing dresses and high heels

my 4 year old is obsessed with wearing dresses and high heels to the point that when we are in a room that is extremely cold she refuses to wear a sweater claiming she is not cold even though her hands were freezing. Lately she even started brushing her teeth 4 to 5 times a day and washes her hands very often. Is this normal??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

It is normal for a 4 year old girl to like playing dress up, even to the point that she refuses to wear a sweater, though her hands are cold. I am sure this will pass. She is not as cold as you are, and as long as she will wear a sweater outside or in rain or snow, I wouldn't worry about this too much.

However, brushing her teeth 4-5 times a day and washing her hands often may be problematic. It could be that she has been introduced to these hygiene habits and the novelty has not worn off, or she is just going through a phase. I would watch her for a few weeks, and if the brushing and washing increase, she may need an evaluation by her pediatrician.

Please let me know if you require further clarification or have more questions about this.

Warm regards,