Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

i have a son,now 19.since age 4 he has had a lot of trouble

i have a son,now 19.since age 4 he has had a lot of trouble with peers,behavior,school and relationships..was on meds for bi polar. went off meds at 17 on his own, meds never really helped,off meds he was the same ..still VERY self serving,and , remorse for any action.steals,and is disrepectful of anyones wishes or requests of him. Consequesnes have never matttered to him. has recently lost a decent job because his employer couldnt reach him and neither could i for 2 weeks. I am soooo very worried that he will end up dead or in jail, jail would be best at this point.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

You are describing someone with a personality disorder, called Anti-social Personality Disorder. This condition is very difficult to treat, and generally requires long term residential treatment. Since he is 19 he can refuse treatment and it will be impossible to force him to go unless he is actively suicidal or homicidal.

People with this disorder often end up in jail. Counseling is not effective because they do not act in good faith. People are just pawns to be manipulated for his own goals, and his motives are always in question. Unfortunately, this attitude includes friends and family.

You have done all you can for this boy. You have taken him to professionals, tried medications, worried about him and probably enabled him. Now, the kindest thing you can do is allow him to experience the consequences of his actions. Give him the dignity to live with his choices, including jail if that is what he chooses.

So sorry I could not be more positive. My best to you and your family.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it common for a person with this disorder to love animals?. Also, he is very intelligent, mechanically gifted and very charming. these are some of his good traits. also, what do i tell my 14 year old who is worried sick about his brother and the decisions he makes?