Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Help my 16 yr old is deathly affraid of Storms Toronados Strong

Help my 16 yr old is deathly affraid of Storms Toronados Strong Winds. She carries a flashlight with her and her computer so she can follow everything on the internet. When the sirens go off she is gets very hyper telling all of us to go down stairs. She has been like this always. No one family has never been injured and there has never been any property damage because storms. She has become so over wrought at time she can become hysterical. Please help with any ideas so she can calm herself during storms times.
Suze
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello:

This is a distressing problem. Your child has developed a phobia and the treatment is going to be a challenge. You have done all the right things, by talking calmly, showing her that you are not afraid, showing her the map of where the storm is, etc. Those are excellent techniques.

However, she continues with this irrational fear of storms and tornados. It is now time for some cognitive-behavioral therapy. She needs to work with someone experienced in treatment of phobias who can help her develop interventions to deal with this fear as it develops and before she loses control. If the condition persists, medication may be necessary.

If she is willing to try, ask her to go to a counselor who can help her with this phobia. There is no need for her (or you) to continue living like this. Let me know if you have further questions.

Warmest regards,