Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My son in eleven years old. He thinks he is eighteen. We have

My son in eleven years old. He thinks he is eighteen. We have a babysitter for him for the summer as my husband and I work. He did really well in school. There have been no major issues- if anything he is praised for his leadership and conflict resolution skills. At home he is the opposite with his babysitter he is rude and doesn't listen to her, with his sister he is also rude and especially to myself and husband. We are at our wits end. Does he need professional help or more discipline/ guidelines.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

He needs more discipline/guidelines first, and I suspect they'll help. The book Family Rules by Kenneth Kaye is very good with this problem.

The trick is to frustrate him by giving him small consequences over and over and over again that add up. Taking his cell phone away for 30 minutes for each inappropriate incident is better than taking it away for a day at his age. Taking 5 minutes off of bedtime for each sarcastic remark, and writing it on the fridge. The more frustrating it is, the less reward he gets for pushing the boundaries. At 11, let the consequences add up to bigger things...you'll get more bang for your buck that way.

My best to you,
Anna