Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Hello, My name is Brandon. I have a fear of getting wrinkles

My name is Brandon. I have a fear of getting wrinkles and sagging skin and I heard on the news and read on the Internet that too much sunlight exposure causes them and because of this I won't go outside without sunblock. This causes anxiety because I'm afraid I'll be asked to go outside to help with something and I'll have to put sunblock on first and this is time consuming and embarrassing.

Last year for a couple of weeks I had digestive problems because of this, and I learned that was a symptom of stress. Then just a couple of weeks ago this year I read on line that too much stress causes premature aging (something about the shortening of telomeres on the ends of chromosomes that causes them to age).

Now I'm afraid that the stress from my fear of sunshine is causing wrinkles and sagging skin and that worrying about that will cause even more wrinkles and sagging skin. So it just gets worse and the problem kind of snowballs on itself.

I'm constantly running my hand against the side of my face and underneath my jaw to see if my skin has sagged any, and checking the lines on the sides of my eyes in the mirror to see if they've gone deeper and or longer.

I'm really sick and tired of these thoughts and I'm writing to you for confirmation that it's all in my head and that these worries that I have aren't enough to cause wrinkles and or sagging skin. By the way I just turned 27 years old.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 3 years ago.
Hello:

Yes, I agree this is all in your head. You have symptoms of OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. You may wish to contact your doctor and ask for an antidepressant, which works wonderfully on OCD. One I can recommend is Zoloft. You don't need to keep on living this way. If these symptoms continue, please seek help. OCD can be debilitating.

I wish you the very best.
Warm regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your aswer, its a relief to hear. I forgot to write thank you at the end of my first message because I was to proccupied with the question. Just one more question. Do you fully understand what I was talking about when i wrote "Then just a couple of weeks ago this year I read on line that too much stress causes premature aging (something about the shortening of telomeres on the ends of chromosomes that causes them to age)." I don't mean to sound negative I just want to make sure.

Thanks again, Brandon.

Yes, it is true that excessive (and I mean a lot) stress can cause premature aging of all the organs in the body, including the skin. That is why it is so important to learn good stress management skills and practice good health habits.

Let me know if you have further questions about this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are the worries and stress that I have enough to prematurely age all the organs of the body including the skin?

Thanks for answering.

Brandon:

If you continue with the level of worry and stress you have now, it certainly could impact your organs, including your skin, but I am talking about 20 + years of worry and stress. If you start with stress management now, you will be OK.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience